Sunday, October 22, 2006

Artist Comma Newbie

Well, I did it. First I participated in the monoprint workshop the weekend of the 14th which was very ably taught by Patt Odom. Second, I took one of my prints and the photo that inspired the print to be matted and framed. Third, and here is the real did it deal, I took them to the Firehouse and produced my $15 check so I am entered in the upcoming Fall Show. I must confess to thoughts of What Have I Done?!?

On the down side, I worry that someone will laugh behind my back. Laughing to my face would be different, of course. On the up side, if I can do a piece that doesn’t embarrass me, and three people whose opinion I value encourage me, then maybe some good will come of it. The idea here is that other newbie or would-be artists will say, “Well, for heaven’s sake, if Jean can do it, so can I!” And bingo, we have more new blood in the shows and organization overall.

At the workshop, the first day was a bit frustrating because my motor skills and knowledge of paint and paper and water were not up to transferring my mental concept to the finished product. Maybe that’s why they say How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice… But on the second day, I picked a different concept and moved to a larger piece of paper (which was Very Large, Very White, and Very Clean when I started) and put paint down and went with it.

About that cup of coffee – see First Post.
Jean

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

You go girl. Yes, your pieces look good. It's been a long while since I took a weekend workshop, but there is nothing quite like having that much time with all the tools and supplies and nothing to do but create.

And I must say you are taking to the blogging quite nicely, too.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home