Tuesday, October 03, 2006

History and Bricks

Hi All,
I was one of those students in school who paid as little attention as possible to history. I even preferred math, if you can believe it! But last Saturday I found myself on hands and knees digging out old bricks in front of the Firehouse to salvage for Just In Case. The City is going to be working on the empty lot next to the Firehouse and the sidewalk will be replaced with a new one. Some of the sidewalk is concrete but most of it is old brick enhanced by a layer of dirt and some vegetation. How old is the brick? Don't know. If we can get an Oral History of the Firehouse going, we might be able to ferret out that information. In the meantime, I was digging the bricks which didn't take a lot of mental effort, and letting my mind wander and wonder about who had walked here, what they wore, what they were talking about, what they were thinking about, and where they were going. I bet they were not thinking about someone in 2006 digging up the bricks, Just In Case.

And this week's opportunities to work with the VAA - dig more bricks (now there's a surprise), lead an Oral History committee, provide oral history records, contact me and drink a cup of.

See you next Tuesday,
Jean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home